What's New in the World of Immigration?

03/02/2015 - Employment Authorization for H-4 Visa Holders (Dependents of H-1B Visa Holders)

Great news! US Immigration will allow certain H-4 dependent spouses to apply for employment authorization beginning May 26, 2015. These work permits are available for two categories of people:

(1) - The spouse of an H-1B visa holder, where the principal H1B holder is the beneficiary of an approved I-140. The I-140 approval can be for any employment based category.

(2) - The spouse of an H-1B holder, where the principal H-1B visa holder has extended H1B status BEYOND six years. Note: the 6+ year extensions are based on a PERM/Labor Certification or I-140 filed 365 days prior to the 7th year of H-1B visa status, as authorized under the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-First Century Act, also called "AC21").

The EAD will provide unrestricted employment authorization with any employer or multiple employers. It can be used to work full time or part time for any employer in any field. The validity period of the EAD will match the time remaining in H-4 status.

For more information, contact an Immigration Attorney for a free consultation today!